I've had the question asked a few times, "What are your wardrobe essentials?" "What pieces are important to have for ones wardrobe?" ... etc etc. And maybe it's just me, but I feel wardrobe essentials are very personal. Not to say in a way that they shouldn't be shared with the public, but more so in a way that they should be tailored to each person. Would you agree? Depending on various cofactors; age, location, profession, etc. your wardrobe will end up reflecting differently. Sure there are pieces that will float easily between various lifestyles, but won't fit into others. Someone who lives in a predominately warm climate doesn't need snow boots, just as someone who doesn't feel comfortable wearing dresses shouldn't worry about searching for the perfect LBD.
Above are what I consider my wardrobe essentials to be and while it may seem like a lengthy 'essentials' group, it fits to my lifestyle. Where I live actually has four distinct seasons [more or less most of the time]. Plus, I work in the fashion industry, which in itself warrants a certain amount of appearance upkeep. Though, I still feel it is more edited than most.
- Blazer: Tailored to fit, single button, black, wool or wool-blend. *
- Trench: Falls between hip and knee, double-breasted, belted, camel or slightly darker, cotton, water-proof. [Burberry] **
- Peacoat: Tailored to fit, hits at hip, double-breasted, navy, wool or wool-blend. **
- Coat: Tailored to fit, falls just above knee, black, wool or wool-blend.
- Field Coat: Barbour– classic, lasts forever, slightly tomboy, deep olive green. **
- Sweaters: Scoop or crew neckline, black, grey, cashmere preferred, but also cotton-blends.
- Stripe Shirt: Full or 3/4 sleeve, navy and white, cotton. *
- Button-downs: Loose and tailored, white and blue, cotton.
- T-shirt: Easy fit, white, grey, black, cotton.
- Turtleneck: Fitted, black, lightweight jersey, cotton.
- Denim: Skinny, black and dark wash, durable, sturdy, slight stretch, cotton.
- Skirt: Mid-thigh, black, simple, lightweight cotton or wool blend.
- Trouser: Slightly cropped, black, cotton or lightweight wool.*
- Shorts: Not too short, black, cotton.
- Casual: Fitted, long or 3/4 sleeves, black, cotton jersey. *
- LBD: Mid-thigh, black, shift or simple shape, light weight wool or some blend. **
- 'Formal': Mid-thigh to just above knee, neutral or color, simple shape, light weight. **
- Bra: Lace or mesh, unlined, neutrals, underwire or not
- Underwear: Cotton, lace, mesh, neutrals.
- Belt: Hip, black, leather. **
- Watch: Menswear-inspired, silver, metal strap.
- Hat: Fedora or similar, black, felt.
- Scarf: Large, Black or neutral, cotton, wool, cashmere or a blend.
- Everyday: Larger, shoulder or cross-body, black, leather.
- Clutch: Small enough to hold essentials, black, leather or suede. *
- Everyday: Smaller, shoulder, elbow or cross-body, neutral, leather.
- Heels: Mid-High, comfortable, black, suede.
- Sandals: T-strap, flat, black, leather. *
- Boots: Knee-high, flat, black, leather.
- Snow Boots: L.L. Bean 'Bean Boots'– shearling lined.
- Ballet Flats: comfortable, black, leather.
- Ankle Boots: Low heel, comfortable, black or taupe, suede or canvas. *
- Wellies: Hunters– knee-high, black. *
- Trainers: Casual, black or charcoal.
- Heeled Sandal: Low-mid heel, comfortable, tan or neutral, leather. **
*have but needs nicer replacement
** do not have/still searching
--also note, not all are exact pieces I own, more so for silhouette--
It's nice to see it all typed out. I have recently been going though my wardrobe assessing it again like I did a few months ago right after I graduated. As I begin to apartment hunt and plan my move back to NYC, it's been part of the process; cleaning through seeing what needs to be replaced, what needs to be mended, what needs to go to the cleaners, etc. I'm planning on going more into depth for certain areas as I sort though things, but that's for another time.
Have a lovely week.